Have a fabulous 2012

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!
Gaga: Rest in Peace (b.2002 - d.2010)

Monday, October 1, 2012

Thank You Chuseok!



Thanks a lot Chuseok (추석) ... I desperately needed you. Since my return to Korea, I have been running across the peninsula for one thing or the other. The only break I got in-between was "night" and I was thinking what if we had no nights...


Chuseok together with the lunar New Year Day (Seollal/설날) are the most celebrated holidays in Korea and displaces the entire country.  Hangawi (한 가위) or Chuseok falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month.



In countries like China, Japan, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia etc. this day is celebrate as a Mid-Autumn Festival and you might have noticed a lot of moon cakes being sold at the department stores too.


This year, we had a 5 day holiday on the occasion of Chuseok. In this time and age, somehow we are always wired or connected and what I did for a change was: turned off the cellphone and also the computer...stayed at my Korean grandfather's farm and basked in nature, wild flowers, gorgeous skies, floating clouds, the little stream that passes by, cranes, crispy winds and witnessing autumn swiftly taking over... I loved every second of it!



With autumn, just have to remind you that it is "extremely" windy so don't forget to buy yourself a nice cap that covers your ears and forehead properly. Unlike other countries, another specialty of autumn in Korea is: "단풍" or 丹楓 or fall foliage - in orange, red, yellow, maroon and brown is breathtaking. In case you are around during this time, visit this route or hike a nearby mountain... you'll enjoy it.

I hope that you also had a wonderful Chuseok!