Have a fabulous 2012

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!
Gaga: Rest in Peace (b.2002 - d.2010)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pet Sitting in Seoul and Animal Qurantine for Bringing Pets in South Korea



PET SITTING IN KOREA:

A friends' friend was very worried because she was leaving for Europe for a month's long vacation and had to find somebody to take care of her "really shy" cat. I was contacted because I have a keen interest in anything related to cats and dogs such as: rescuing animals, feeding stray animals, taking chained dogs by permission of their owners and taking them for walks, helping people to find homes for their pets while on vacation, arranging pet sitters (usually amongst student community that is willing to pet-sit) and even finding friends or acquiantances to transport cats/dogs to the US or Canada where I myself frequently visit.  All these services are free of cost.

I remember that many of my friends who wanted to bring in or move out of Korea with pets have suffered due to the lack of information in English. I was very lucky that during my rescue efforts and then search for a vet - led me to a very kind hearted vet, who has great passion for stray animals. Dr. Seo is exceptionally good in his job and in speaking English too. I have known him since 2007 and many times he did not even charged me for treating these abondoned/rescued animals.



So anyways, besides contacting me, you can leave your request at forums of Craiglist, Seoul Global Center, Korea4Expats and Work and Play in Korea. I have observed that the interests in cats in Korea has been coniniously increasing at a fast pace. In 2002, it was NOT easy to find cat related products easily but it has changed. I think that people like Lee Hyori (singer/actress)and a few others have played an important role in that and also in awareness towards adopting abondoned animals.

Long story short, now that we have vacations in Korea - some of the forums that I will highly recommend where you can find a pet sitter include Animal Rescue Korea and the Seoul Craiglist. These forums have been an excellent source of exchange of information on issues covering animals in general and pets in particular.

Issues such as where to find a right vet clinic with English speaking staff, Quarantine Policy of Korea on animals, clinics providing travelling documents for pets as well as finding homes for the abondoned animals, people volunteering at the shelters in and around Seoul, Asan and Daejon etc.go to the websites I mentioned.

Some of the important sites for pet owners are:

National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service (NVRQS).

South Korea's Policy on Bringing Pets and Qurantine Rules

One extremely important thing that is happening in Korea is the "new rules" that will come into effect from December 1st, 2011: which include microchip indentification to be implanted in animals' body & rabies shots (it has always been mandatory), number of animals without prior report is 4 or less and one day at of stay at the quarantine clinic of the Incheon Airport for tests etc. :-(

Note: Microchip should be an internationally standardized product such as ISO 117874/11785.

For more information call NVRQS at:82-31-467-1700

Prevention of Animal Mistreatment report at their hotine 1797

Basics of Having a Pet by Shannon Heit

9 comments:

  1. very cute! Thanks for posting. Check Out This Link: Dog Sitting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Dog Sitter Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog, keep up the great work wish you all the best.

    Overnight House Sitting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah!
    How can I reach you?
    I am looking for a dog sitter for my 3 year old 20 lb dachshund/ lab mix. He is truly a great dog and is super friendly and craves attention. Schedule wise I am seeking someone who can look after him full time and over night as I would only visit him on weekends. If you know someone that would be great! Peter peterintaelee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plz. check ur mail!
    Thanks for visting the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello.. I'll be coming to korea at the end of may and will be arriving at night. :( so i will need a pet sitter to take her in.. She's 18 lbs maltese n poodle mix.. Great personality n a little bit of a watch dog.. I'll need a sitter for 4 days in total (til june 2nd) let me know if you're interested in helping me. Email iloveicecoffee88@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi marc, I'm now living in the university dorm hence, it's impossible to dog-sit however, Seoul craiglist and Korea Herald are a good source to find somebody interested. In Noksapyeong and Itaewon, there are a couple of people who are interested.
    Best of luck and hope that ur dog fings a good/king sitter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sharing this information thank you.Come back again for more interesting stuffs like one you got earlier!Dog Walking And Pet Sitting

    ReplyDelete