Have a fabulous 2012

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!
Gaga: Rest in Peace (b.2002 - d.2010)

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Diwali at a Hindu Temple in Peshawar (Pakistan)


Goraknath temple in the Gor Khuttree area of Peshawar

When we talk of changes here in Pakistan, one of the most important of events was the 'Celebration of Diwali' at a Hindu Temple in Peshawer after 50 years or so. This news was not widely covered by media.  Well, we should realize the fact that as a nation we have failed to highlight the good things happening in Pakistan - our media can not digest the idea that "a good news can also make headlines".

In a short report, a small yet very important and ancient temple was the center piece, it came to life when it saw the devotees rolling back in, it was beautifully decorated and as the devotees were entering the temple - I could equally feel the joy - it was very touching and emtional for me ( because I am a religious minorty - while living overseas). This centuries old Goraknath temple in the Gor Khuttree area of Peshawar  [which is the area considered as the deepest dig in the world by Andrew Selkirk in his article published in World Archeology, Issue: 19 (2007)] was taken over by police in 1960. The country's archaeological authorities ordered caretakers to vacate in 2003 for renovation to take place but then it was never reurned to the community. Among the many devotees who were interviewed there was a woman who was over 80 years old. She expressed her views on celebrating Dewali and was obviously extremely delighted. After a long court battle, we have been allowed to celebrate Diwali said this old woman. She also mentioned those days when visiting a temple was nothing unusual. Personally, I felt extremely sad  and ashamed - because as a muslim minority my right to enter a mosque and to pray - have NEVER been violated. I can NOT think of such a time however, in Pakistan, we are doing  really strange things  lately. I also know the fear in which the minorities are living in Pakistan - the conditions are appauling but as a minority myself - in a non- Islamic country - I am much safer than in Pakistan - for who I am and for what I believe in.

We also pray to our Gods every time we hear Azan, said another devotee. I can fully associate with her when these moments fall on us - living in cities where there was no mosque - not even one.  I just wish that people be left alone here in this country - left alone to understand the world around them, the people around them, the cultures and religions around them; I just wish that we are left alone to figure out the meaing of life on our own; and we are left alone to understand God - in whatever way - we think is right!




No comments:

Post a Comment