Have a fabulous 2012

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!

FOR PHOTOS: PLEASE ASK FIRST, I WOULD APPRECIATE THE COURTESY OF BEING ASKED!
Gaga: Rest in Peace (b.2002 - d.2010)

Monday, April 18, 2011

Gamla Stan - Old town Stockholm







Sight Seeing is like a must do if visiting a city, in case, if a city has an old history - it is an endless treat. I fall in love with Gamla Stan (old city) where we have the royal palace, Stockholm Cathedral, National museum and beautiful cafes and shops in colorfully painted architectural art works among the winding/narrow streets. This Old Town Gamla Stan is Stockholm's most charming part. This is where the old and new Stockholm combines. There are a lot of unique things to see when visiting the old town in Stockholm which is said to be the original Stockholm. The town was set up during the 13 century. There are about 3000 people living in the old city today. Most buildings are from the 1700s and 1800s. Palaces and museum can actually be a very interesting. That's why I decided to take a look at the area as soon as I got here. If you are ever visiting Stockholm you have to take a look at that awesome neighborhood where I went almost every day.



On my first day, my coolest guide a native of Stockholm, whom I met on the train from Norrkoping, gave me all names and directions to important sites of Stockholm. He was of Bosnian descent and himself an avid traveller. I asked him about the official mosque in Stockholm & this is where I set my foot first - there are many other mosques - at a smaller level too. This mosque was beautiful but the staff (esp. the women's section) was not just rude but really inconsiderate to say the least. They had an entire section for women and I guess, their attitude was one thing I never expected of them. I don't want to generalize this but more often than not, I have come across the most unfriendly people working as the staff in mosques around the world. I must say that the staff at the mosques in Seoul, in Paris, and in Philadelphia are rare exceptions. Person who was really trying to help me get information and locate the mosque was literally surprised at the attitude of the people in the mosque.

Anyhow, it was a good learning experience in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment